Background

Saturday, November 24, 2012

SHOP SMALL


Between Black Friday and Cyber Monday is a day dedicated to all small businesses nationwide. Small Business Saturday promotes shopping local in your town, instead of large national chain stores.

I am not a Black Friday shopper. I stay away from the mad crowds with the pushing and shoving. The only place I went on Black Friday was the dollar store and it was not busier than normal when I was there.

Supporting local businesses helps the economy especially in small towns like mine, according to the reports I read. Fortunately for me, I don't have any shopping to do today. I have over 90% of my shopping done and my next step is wrapping. My gift list is much smaller than it was a few years ago, which for me is a good thing. With finances getting tighter and tighter, there is less $$$ to go around.

Many people wait until Thanksgiving time to start their Christmas shopping. I like to have 90% of my shopping done by Thanksgiving. Therefore, in the next few days, I will start sorting and wrapping the few items I need to get ready for the big day. I have a few items to mail and those come first. I also want to avoid the postal rush. Someone I know, I'm sure, wonders why I save packing boxes so often, but they sure come in handy at this time of year.

So shop till you drop; fight the crowds; while I stay home and wrap my purchases in leisure. What I didn't purchase here in town, I ordered online and has been - or will be - delivered in the next few days. I try to do things the efficient way so I have more time for other things - like keeping warm by staying home.

No comments: