Background

Sunday, November 4, 2012

MY TREAT


This afternoon I broke my diet for a treat. As I mentioned in a past blog, I started a diet on September 16th. At my doctor appointment of October 16th, I learned that I had lost 15 pounds in 30 days. I have been keeping up with my diet since then, but the doctor said not to expect to lose the pounds quite as fast the second 30 days as I did the first 30 days. I am prepared for that.

This was a day to celebrate. Today, Saturday, was the semi-annual Shriner's Spaghetti Supper served at the Mahan Building at the Fayette County Fairgrounds. As a family tradition, I have been attending this event for at least ten years (twice a year). It used to be held in the Washington High School cafeteria.

I have been taking and treating John to a spaghetti dinner twice a year for at least the last five years, so today was no different. We went out to get our take out dinner right at the 4pm start time of the event. The crowd was just starting to arrive. We got our spaghetti with meatballs, bread, salad with choice of dressing, and a choice of cookie for dessert. It's always good food and I always support the Shriner's events. My father and my brother were both Shriners when they were alive.

I also got a take out order for my neighbor friend. She deserved a break after what she's been through. Her husband is in the hospital again, and is not expected to live much longer. They have called in Hospice Care starting Monday, upon his discharge from the hospital. I have been in close contact with her and helping her whenever and however I can through these difficult times.

I didn't mind breaking my diet tonight, to keep up a tradition of long standing and supporting a good cause. I will make up for it by walking a few more laps on my treadmill this week.

No comments: