Background

Monday, January 27, 2014

GENEROSITY


The generosity of others is sometimes overwhelming and surprising, but gratefully accepted.

We had another snow storm and my driveway rarely gets shoveled and my street is seldom plowed (always last on the city list). The yard looks like it's six inches deep in white stuff. Since I can't see the ice underneath all that snow, I didn't want to risk trying to drive in this weather.

I emailed the pastor at the church about something and he then offered to find someone to pick me up so I wouldn't have to drive. I received a phone call from the pastor Saturday evening and he said he would come pick me up personally. What dedication!

I was ready on time and his car made it to the end of my driveway through the snow on the street. He told me that the church was having a free dinner for the congregation after the service and I could stay and he would find me a ride home.

After the service, I went downstairs where the dinner was being held. An acquaintance from the genealogy society saw me and invited me to sit with her. Because of the bad weather, attendance was down today, but there was a LOT of food. The pastor made the announcement that we could all eat like it was Thanksgiving, because there was plenty to go around.

The meal of chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, salad, chicken and noodles, and rolls was very good and filling. The desert table was filled with goodies, but I only had one piece of chocolate cake.

After the meal, they held a short congregational meeting, then I went upstairs to sit in a more comfortable chair to wait for a ride. A gentlemen walked by to get his coat from the coat rack and asked if I was waiting for someone, and I replied I was just waiting for a ride home. I told him the pastor provided a ride to the church. I had met him during the service since he was sitting near where I was sitting. He offered me a ride home and I graciously accepted.

His vehicle was an SUV with 4-wheel drive so he was able to make some tire tracks in my driveway. I made it to church and back home just fine, through the generosity and kindness of others.

It is a very friendly, community-minded atmosphere at the church and I feel quite at home there. I hope next Sunday the weather is better for traveling on my own. I am so ready for spring and warmer weather!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How do you know you are last on the list?