Background

Monday, April 29, 2013

EATING FOR AGE


I was reading an article about how to eat for your age.

In your 20's, they recommend salmon, because it helps prevent depression. Salmon has omega-3 fatty acids which stabilizes a person's moods.

In your 30's, eggs and spinach are recommended. Eggs supply choline and spinach supplies folate for good health.

In your 40's, eat lean beef and broccoli. Beef supplies iron for red blood cells and keeping energy levels up. Broccoli is said to reduce the risk of breast cancer.

In your 50's, non-fat or low-fat yogurt is suggested to boost estrogen which is lost as we age and adds calcium to the diet.

In your 60's, they say to eat beans, any kind. They are good for your heart, like lowering blood pressure, and they contain fiber.

To me, it sounds like salmon should be eaten at any age since mood swings are a life-long possibility. We all need to keep our energy level up, and broccoli is especially good for women. Since I have never liked yogurt, I drank 2% milk instead. I think eating whole wheat bread will keep up the fiber intake, because I'm not fond of most bean dishes.

The senior citizen phase of the list reminds me of all the commercials I see for Beano, GasX and such other gas relievers. Maybe that's why they say older folks are just 'full of it!'

I think I'll just stick to my chicken, pork, pasta, and lots of vegetables meals I most enjoy. At my age, I'll just eat what I like as long as I'm healthy and let others “be full of it.” No beans for me!!

1 comment:

Exploring Almost Forgotten Gravesites in the Great State of Ohio said...

I agree Gail!! Stick to what you know and what you know works for you. And, we can't forget to do some exercise at least all of our lives if we can.