Saturday, May 24, 2014

ZOMBIE EYE (amended)

I was told Wednesday that I had a black zombie eye. That's a new one for me.

On Tuesday, I went to Kettering Hospital and had major eye surgery. I had a metal protective cup over my eye when I woke up in the recovery room. I got home and spent the next 12 hours in bed resting. The nurses at Kettering were GREAT! I had three and they were very attentive and wonderful to me. Kudos to them.

My girlfriend came and spent four days with me to help me out. I was not allowed to read, bend, or lift.

On Wednesday, I had my mandatory checkup with the eye surgeon and when the patch was removed, I had a somewhat black eye in the center and red all around the center. There was a white cloud through which I could see objects. I have three different eye drops to use four times a day for a week. Then it will become two drops four times a day for a while.

As time went on, the cloud began to clear up and by Friday, the cloud was gone. Things are still a little blurry, but my vision is much better. I don't need to wear my glasses any longer. I will probably need readers for a while.

I had a cornea transplant and while the cornea specialist eye doctor had my eye ball open, he also removed my cataract and implanted a new lens.

Today is the first day I have been allowed to get on the computer. I had so many emails to review. Things are slowly getting back to normal and will continue to improve. I go back for another eye checkup next week.

I said a short prayer for the eye donor the first night, because my donor corneal tissue came from the eye donor bank available in the State of Ohio. I am grateful for that service.

I have to wear sunglasses at all times, unless I am sitting quietly, and wear my patch overnight for a while. But the end results will be worth it. As of today, the black is gone, the color is back in my iris, and the blood red color is clearing up and I can see some white returning to my eye.

I called the doctor Friday and got permission to go to church Sunday, so I felt I had a victory there. Otherwise, I am staying home trying to behave myself.

Thanks to all my friends who called or texted to check on me, and my special gratitude to my friend Michele who stayed to take care of me for a few days. She is so special!

I'll be back to writing more as soon as I can.

No comments: