Background

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

KEEPING MEMORIES

When I was eight years old, my mother took me to Knickerbocker's Toy Store in Cleveland. I was allowed to spend my allowance on anything I wanted - up to the $5.00 I'd saved.

I fell in love with a monkey and it cost $5.00. I purchased it and carried it everywhere I could. I named him Pinkie. During the summer of that same year, we went to Daytona Beach, Florida on vacation and I took Pinkie with me (see photo).

While cleaning out my attic in June this year, I found Pinkie, packed away in a box for safekeeping. A box of memories.

Pinkie has been occupying the second pillow on my bed since June. Pinkie has aged - he's now 61 years old - but still in great shape, keeping me company, and keeping my childhood memories alive.

No comments: