Background

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

THE EYES HAVE IT

For the family members and friends who have been waiting to hear the EYE news, here's the update.

I had my big checkup today with my ophthalmologist. The report was all good.

I had left eye laser surgery for narrow angle glaucoma four weeks ago. Two weeks ago, I had the right eye laser surgery for the same thing. My mother had glaucoma in both eyes and also had laser surgery when she was about my age. It is inherited, according to my doctor, so to my family - have your eyes checked regularly.

Referencing the graphic, narrow angle glaucoma is when the anterior chamber is narrowed because the lens moves forward toward the cornea. Fluid, which naturally flows threw the anterior chamber, is restricted causing eye pressure to increase (which is not a good thing). The laser surgery corrected this condition.

The glaucoma had to be corrected before the next step could be taken.

I can now see better without my glasses for distance vision. My current distance prescription, now over a year old, sometimes makes things a little fuzzy. I will get new glasses in June or July.

The next step in my 'eye on the future' is my left eye cataract surgery, which is scheduled for next month. If all goes well, I'll have a sunny, bright summer - seeing things much clearer.

AND THIS IS NO APRIL FOOL. ENJOY YOUR DAY. I KNOW I WILL.

No comments: