Background

Tuesday, April 15, 2014

EVERY CAR NEEDED ONE

I was going through some old family paperwork during the winter and found a patent paper with a letter from the patent attorney for my father. Then I found a heavy object which I later learned was the protype that went with the patent filing.

I had been searching online for the original patent number for some time, because the letter only stated the serial number of the filing. I finally found the actual patent number recently.

My father's patent was filed December 22, 1930 for cable terminals. Cable terminals hold the wiring to the battery of a car. Every car has two (I haven't seen the engine of the new electric cars, so I don't know about those). This was a major invention back in the 1930s when cars were just beginning to be manufactured. They have been improved and changed since the old days.

Being an engineer and draftsman in his early career, he drew these plans himself.


This was not my father's only patent or invention. The older I get the more I realize what a brilliant man he was. He taught me a lot.

No comments: