Background

Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A HERO LOST


Today was surely sad news for me...Sheriff Andy Taylor...Andrew Samuel Griffith of Roanoke Island, North Carolina, passed away at the age of 86. He was a star of Broadway, movies, television, and singer wining a Grammy for a music album.

I grew up in the 1960s with The Andy Griffith Show, with its moral lessons of life taught to son Opie, and sidekick Barney Fife and Gomer Pyle.

I was also a big fan of his later TV role of the smart lawyer Ben Matlock, which ran for many years. Andy won a People's Choice Award in 1987 for his role in Matlock.

There is a 10-mile stretch of a North Carolina highway named after him, and he received the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2005.

He started out learning the trombone in 1941 and received a music degree from the University of North Carolina.

Andy was born June 1, 1926 and died today, July 3, 2012.

R.I.P. Andy - Mayberry will never forget you, and neither will I.

No comments: