Background

Sunday, December 29, 2013

OVERWHELMED OR OVERWORKED?

If you've watched the news this past week, you've seen the stories about the busy package workers at UPS. So many people and companies like Amazon used their services, they were overwhelmed with deliveries.

I became unintentionally acquainted with this quagmire. The UPS man showed up at my door yesterday and I was not expecting any packages. UPS markets their usual delivery time as three days for most United States deliveries.

The first thing I did was to look at the return address part of the label and saw it was from my niece in Tulsa, OK. That was a surprise, because she was the only family member I heard from this holiday.

She sent me a NASCAR calendar; she knows how much I love NASCAR. It was so nice of her to think of me at this time of year.

I don't think UPS was the only entity with slow delivery services this year. Today I got a Christmas card from my niece too. Both the postmark and shipping date were prior to the 25th. I just think so many people were using mailing/shipping services this year that the businesses got overloaded.

I didn't mind at all. I think it was great to get an unexpected surprise after the 25th, since that day was a quiet one for me. Because I had no expectations at all, it was a pleasant pick-me-up to receive both. The UPS delivery man and my mailman received big smiles from me for their work. They both work hard and get little praise sometimes from people who expect so much more.

No comments: