Background

Friday, September 12, 2014

FRUIT FLIES

In my effort to eat more fruit, I found kitchen fruit flies.

A friend gave me half a very large cantaloupe last week. I cut it up in small chunks and threw the rind away.

Then last Friday at the free produce delivery at my church, I received a small watermelon. I also cut this fruit into small slices to put in the refrigerator.

Since the trashcan was not yet full, I didn't take the trash out that night. The next morning I found fruit flies in my kitchen. They are quick!!!

I did some online research and found out that a small container of apple cider vinegar and a few drops of dish soap is the best killer. I used a small plastic container, drilled a few holes in the lid and filled it appropriately. I let it sit on my kitchen sink overnight and it worked! I have only seen two since then, so I let the container stay out overnight once again. Plus, I emptied the trash and now I think they are all gone.

So if you have purchased (or been given) any fruit, leave it out or cut it for refrigeration, and you find the pesky fruit flies, put some apple cider vinegar in a container (plastic or glass) and add a few drops of Dawn (or other dish soap), cover and let it sit out overnight. You can use a covered plastic bowl or a glass jar (cover with plastic wrap and poke a couple holes in the wrap).

Fruit flies love the sweet smell, are drawn to the liquid, and they die in it. The cover with a few holes prevents the flies from escaping before contact with the liquid.

IT DOES WORK!!

No comments: