Background

Thursday, January 5, 2012

MY EPIPHANY



Seniors are said to have wisdom and experience. The older generation tries to teach the younger generation in order to pass along their "smarts."

I have recently learned that the younger generation can teach us old folks some "smarts" too.

I used to be a "brand" person some of the time, like Heinz ketchup, or Kraft cheese and Lay's potato chips. But I have learned that sometimes brands don't matter.

Someone took me to Aldi's around the holidays. I purchased a few items, one of which was a rice and chicken microwave dinner. The box was a meal for two so it made two night's dinners for me.

Today I decided to go back to Aldi's and get a few more to put in the freezer for the winter. I don't get out much on heavy snow days. I like to stock my freezer with at least two weeks worth of meals just in case the weather is too bad to get to the store.

I purchased only 9 items, but learned a valuable lesson. With 4 rice and chicken dinners (enough for 2 meals each), 4 chicken pot pies, and one lasagna (enough for 2 meals), I can eat for 14 days and it only cost me $25.00. Wow, dinner for two weeks for only $25.00!

Then I went to the dollar store to get a couple things, and also picked up some ketchup (they only carried Hunts brand) and some spray cooking oil like PAM, but I got the store brand because it was cheaper.

I saved money at both stops, instead of going to Kroger. I learned that off brands taste just as good as the name brands sometimes. Someone had been trying to tell me that, but I was a slow learner! Smart kid! Now, smarter me!

No comments: