Background

Saturday, May 22, 2010

A TRAIN FOLLOWED THE MACK TRUCK




That mack truck drove on down the road, and as I was recovering, this big train came along! WHACK! What a happy roller coaster I've been on. Busy was not the word for this week...running is more like it. I got my exercise for sure. It's been quite a week.

Monday, May 10th, I went to the post office to see the postmaster to report a disturbing event from Saturday. Since it was a violation of a city ordinance, I felt I needed to do something. I was driving down Rose Avenue and saw a postman go behind a large piece of equipment at an abandoned building. It was visible from the street and from the house directly across from it. I stopped to see what was wrong. After the postman got back into his truck and proceeded one block down to continue his deliveries, I went to check behind the piece of equipment and found the wet puddle. I took photos and wrote down the number of the mail truck. I just didn't think it was right what he did. The postmaster didn't think so either after I told him about it and showed him the pictures. He said he would take care of it.

On May 14th, the For Rent sign went back up on my house I'd rented out two months ago. The guy kicked his girlfriend out and then abandoned the house. So we start over, and change the locks!

Then on Friday, after a normal start to my morning, a friend was taken to the hospital, then admitted with double pneumonia. I offered my time and help to do anything needed for the next few days since there were others in the family to consider. I took his wife back and forth to the hospital two or three times a day, took care of his mother, the house, the dogs, and anything else I could do for them. I was running and running, but it was a labor of love for my friends. I went to the hospital by myself a couple times to see if there was anything else I could do. My son John also stopped to visit him in the hospital. John said he enjoyed that visit and they both were able to laugh a bit.

The weekend was busy with visits and making sure everyone was ok. On Monday, his wife had to have a tooth pulled at the dentist. After I dropped her off, I made a quick trip to Walgreens, then back to pick her up and take her home to rest.

He was being treated with antibiotics and he was doing better. On Tuesday, the good news came that he was being discharged. I drove his wife to the hospital and he was ready to go home. He was glad to get home I know.

After dropping him off at home, I went to my galfriend's house to fix something on her computer. Then it was off to Kroger to get his medicine and a few things. As I was waiting, a guy who was also waiting his turn, started talking to me. He was 85 and by the time my order was ready, I knew all about his medical and family history, but I still didn't know his name. It helped pass the time. After I delivered the medicine and other items, I went home and spent the rest of the evening on the couch - resting up. The train had been on the fast track all weekend.

I had a meeting Thursday evening, then another one at noon Friday, and then off to my therapy appointment in the afternoon. Saturday morning was suppose to be a painting event at the park, but with the storm of last night and the wet ground and dampness in the air, I knew that painting was out of the question. I went to the store instead. I spent the afternoon with a friend, watching reruns of Law & Order, talking old times, and watching the dogs play.

The train keeps going, I keep busy with all my volunteer work, but I wouldn't have it any other way. I enjoy keeping busy and feeling needed and appreciated. What better reason to get up each day - to do something to help others.

No comments: