Background

Thursday, December 8, 2011

MEMORY TREE


I was raised in a family that did not put their tree up until the week before Christmas and took it down on New Year's Day. Last year I put my little Charlie Brown tree up the week before, per my preference. However, this year I might get all my decorating done by this coming weekend instead. I just feel like doing it this week.

Last year my little Charlie Brown tree (I'm a big Charlie Brown/Snoopy fan) was decorated with all the handmade ornaments my aunt made and gave me over the years. I'm just not a big tree person any more. I took pictures of my little tree and sent them to her, along with her gift, over the holidays. I don't know exactly what made me decide to use all her ornament items on the tree, but I later learned why I might have subconsciously done that.

On New Year's Day this year I learned that my aunt was in the hospital critically ill and I called her at the hospital. It was the last time I was able to speak to her; she died January 24th. The Italian charm bracelet my friend made for her for her Christmas gift was returned to me by her grandson at the time of her funeral. I will hang it on the tree this year in memory of her.

No comments: