Background

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

OUTTA WHACK


For anyone wondering why I have not been writing, going, doing, or being myself this past week, I was severely 'outta whack.'

Due to a severe injury on Memorial Day Monday, my pain level went so far over 10, I stopped counting. I realized I needed to see a doctor because walking was a painful struggle.

I made an appointment with a doctor recommended by my health insurance plan, and told him what I thought had happened. After an exam and x-rays, I learned that my self-diagnosis of a sprain-strain of my pelvic area was correct. In simple terms, I had thrown my pelvis so far 'outta whack' that I was unable to walk without severe pain and strain.

I had not been to a chiropractor for more than 12 years, but it was the only way to get relief for what happened. It will take at least six visits to put the bones back into place where they belong, and I have today completed three of those visits. The swelling and pain is still there, but I can walk better. The pain has been reduced to a dull steady ache, unless aggravated by the wrong movement (like bending), and I use ice packs three times a day for the swelling.

Like it has been said: "this too shall pass," and I will eventually heal, but I don't think my back will ever be "right" again. I saw my x-ray and it was not normal. The curvature of my lower back due to my hip misalignment was prominent.

Only time will tell how things will turn out, but my friendly heating pad has been retired and replaced with cold ice packs to keep me moving. I refuse to turn into a 'couch tater.'

No comments: