Background

Sunday, June 16, 2013

TREASURES FOUND

While going through some of the boxes in my garage, formerly in my attic, I found a few rare books I didn't know my mother had put away many years ago.

The first was a 606-page book entitled "The Golden Way - To The Highest Attainments" by Rev. J. H. Potts, D.D. When I looked at the first page, I read the inscription, written by my maternal great-grandmother that stated this book was given to my grandmother by her mother on August 30, 1902 in Washington Court House, Ohio. Another page had the copyright as 1887 by J.H. Potts, D.D. My grandmother was born in 1892 and died in 1989 at the age of 97. This really old book is in very good shape for its age!

The second book I found was "Hurlbut's Story of the Bible" by Jesse Lyman Hurlbut, D.D., copyright 1932, with my maternal grandmother's name written on the first page. The book is about 800 pages with illustrations and maps. This book is also in very good shape.

The third book stored away was a hymnal from 1911 that belonged to my paternal grandmother who signed the first page with her name and the year in Warren, Ohio, where my father was born. The "Gospel Hosannas" was copyright 1911.

I now have 3 books for my collection that belonged to both my grandmothers - a TREASURE for sure!

No comments: