Background

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

MIRACLES DO HAPPEN

Two years ago my ice maker quit working in my Sears Kenmore side-by-side refrigerator.

I have a mechanic friend in Virginia (specializing in air conditioning and refrigeration) who came to visit and checked the parts needed. Shortly after his visit two years ago, he mailed me a package containing a new ice maker and valve/pump unit (which controls the water traveling up the tubing to the ice maker unit). Then I waited.

And waited. And waited.

A few days ago I finally got another visit from my mechanic friend and I retrieved the parts package from the garage, still unopened. He replaced the ice maker unit and the valve/pump item at the lower rear of the refrigerator. Then we waited, after priming the ice maker with a bit of water.

About 45 minutes later, I heard a slight clunk. Sure enough, a few ice cubes dropped into the bin. We watched as water flowed up the tubing into the ice maker. About 30-45 minutes later, CLUNK, a full batch of ice was dumped into the bin.

HALLELUIAH – my ice maker works again. I bought bags of ice for a couple months, then cleaned off the top shelf of the freezer and used six plastic ice cube trays to make ice starting two years ago. Now my ice maker works again and I can get ice from the freezer door dispenser.

MIRACLES DO HAPPEN! Sometimes they just take time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There is a great place to get repair parts, and they'll even show you how to install them with videos. It's called RepairClinic.com. I've bought a new rotating sprayer and the door seal for my Frigidaire dishwasher, and other washer and dryer parts. They carry almost everything for the most common makes, even old ones. Kenmores are in most cases Whirlpool. They give you several ways to identify the part you need, including a photo with a scale grid behind it for reference.