Background

Sunday, February 9, 2014

LIFE GOES ON

Grief takes many forms and healing takes its own time. Grief can also come in different ways – personal, emotional, and impersonal (like when a member of a friend's family dies). All can and should be sympathized with, or empathized, for the pain the other person goes through is real to them. Understanding and compassion for another's feelings is important.

I know, I've been through it many times.

A friend of mine is just starting the process. Her mother died yesterday and the funeral is next week.

It was a rough day yesterday, but I feel better now. Time marches on and so does life. I decided I needed some laughter so I watched some videos.

I read a media article about the Amazon Prime Video feature not being utilized enough by Prime members. I decided to give it a try. I got out my Kindle Fire and watched seven back-to-back Jeff Dunham Show videos from 2009. I love Peanut, Achmed, and Walter, and Jeff makes me laugh. It was good to get my mind on brighter things today.

Last night I watched the opening ceremony of the Sochi Olympics. I was disappointed. The last winter Olympics opening was much better. NBC did a fair job of reporting it. I read in the media that they cut out certain parts, but I don't care. The overall experience was just not good. For one thing, there were way too many commercial breaks to show any continuity in presentation. (They did say that the Olympics cost more than 50 BILLION dollars this year, so I guess the sponsors had to have their MANY 30-seconds.)

The fireworks and the USA Team walking into the arena were the only bright parts in the show. I change the channel after the USA group walked the runway. It was impressive that the injured gal got up from her wheelchair and walked a while on her crutches. She was determined to be there to support her team.

The media horror stories of Sochi are scary...bad hotel rooms, bad water, hacking computers and cell phones, killing stray dogs, and the anti-gay bashing from the country is enough to keep people at home. (Even the Olympic rings are five different colors!)

I want to watch Gracie Gold skate and Shawn White snowboard, but other than that, I'm not a big winter Olympics fan. I wish them all well, I hope they bring home the gold medals, and just to have the experience is wonderful for all those who trained so long and hard.

*See, I can wish them all well, and yet not be a fan of the events!

No comments: