Background

Tuesday, February 4, 2014

I'M REALLY GOING TO MISS HIM

On February 6th, The Tonight Show will fade into oblivion. I have been a big Jay Leno fan since he took over for Johnny Carson in 1992.

Leno was scheduled to leave The Tonight Show six months from now. Then NBCUniversal decided to move up the exit date to the time of the Olympics broadcasts, when the show would not be on because of late night Olympics coverage.

In order for NBC's choice of Jimmy Fallon to take over, the show had to move from Los Angeles, California, to New York City, where Fallon is located.

I read that all 164 staff members, most of whom have been with Leno for the past 22 years, will be laid off from NBC during the next couple months. In 2012, Leno took a pay cut in order to save his staff's jobs, so when the end date of his show was changed, he was adamant about NBC paying his staff for the extra six months the show was supposed to run. NBC agreed.

Johnny Carson had the show for 30 years; Jay Leno has hosted the show for 22 years. Carson's show was number one in the ratings when Leno took over and has remained number one for the hand-off to Jimmy Fallon. Leno says the older generation has to make room for the younger generation. Fallon debuts his show on February 17.

When NBC had a brain-fart and tried to replace Leno with Conan O'Brien a few years ago, ratings fell and the network realized their mistake and brought Leno back. The ratings again went back to number one.

I have loved Leno's Headlines, Jay Walking, and other special show features. I have not made a firm decision on Fallon as yet. But I will give him some time to impress me before I stop or continue to watch his show.

The name of the show is changing from The Tonight Show With Jay Leno to The Tonight Show Staring Jimmy Fallon.

I love Leno's humor, his special stories, and his famous guests. Tonight's guest was a favorite, Betty White, and Jimmy Fallon to officially pass the torch (which he said he hoped didn't get intercepted by a Seahawk- to roars from the audience - for his reference to the Super Bowl). I will miss Jay very much after 22 years of being on top of the ratings. I don't like Letterman and can't stand O'Brien. But Jimmy, I'll give you a chance. I hope you can try to fill Jay's shoes when it comes to humor!

Four days ago, guest Bill Maher (who had been a guest on Leno's show 34 times over the past 22 years) had a surprise for Jay and had Seth McFarland join him for a Thanks For The Memories special version song for his fairwell.



No comments: