Background

Saturday, October 5, 2013

MY PERRY TOWNSHIP ROOTS

I have been doing quite a bit of Perry Township, Fayette County, Ohio research this past month. I have roots there dating back to 1913 and beyond. I am still searching for pre-1913 records.

On September 18, 2013, I wrote a blog entitled LAND OF PLENTY AND IRONY (CLICK HERE) regarding my great-grandfather's farm on State Route 41 South, Perry Township, Fayette County, Ohio. That is where my mother grew up. The entrance to the farm currently looks like this:


I was told by my mother and grandmother that my great-grandfather built those brick pillars in the early 1900s when he owned the farm. I remember seeing a photograph of my mother, (and one of my aunt) when they were young, standing beside those pillars. After searching for two weeks, I finally found the picture which means a lot to me. As you can see, the chain-link fencing is still there today, the same as in the late 1920s-early 1930s.


Mother used to show me that area often when we would drive to Greenfield down State Route 41 South. I also remember her telling me about walking to the one-room schoolhouse down the road in the late 1920s. The brick building itself still stands and I stopped to photograph it recently. Then while driving north on Route 41, I measured the distance from the schoolhouse to her old farm residence and it was exactly 1.8 miles. Ironically, I remember walking a mile to elementary school many years ago. Now days, if a kid lives more than half a mile from school, the child thinks he/she deserves a school bus ride to get there. They just don't know how easy they have it!

1 comment:

Exploring Almost Forgotten Gravesites in the Great State of Ohio said...

I enjoyed your blog post Gail! Thank you so much for sharing your memories and the photographs that so vividly describe them in visual detail from connecting your family's past to your present.