Background

Saturday, April 6, 2013

GOAL ACCOMPLISHED!

Today, I accomplished a goal I set and started last November. I wanted to get a CCW (concealed carry) permit; mainly just to say I DID IT! MISSION ACCOMPLISHED. My license came in the mail today (looks just like a driver's license). It took four months for the application process to be completed and the license issued, due to an overwhelming amount of permits being requested these days; the FBI checks take time.

Some states require concealed carry applicants to certify their proficiency with a firearm through some type of training or instruction. Classroom instruction would typically include firearm mechanics and terminology, cleaning and maintenance of a firearm, concealed carry legislation and limitations, liability issues, carry methods and safety, home defense, and practice of gun handling techniques. (I went to Springfield to take my course.)

Depending on the state, a practical component during which the attendee shoots the weapon for the purpose of demonstrating safety and proficiency, may be required. During range instruction, applicants would typically learn and demonstrate safe handling and operation of a firearm and accurate shooting from common self-defense distances. (Part of my target shoot is shown here.)

Many jurisdictions have established arrangements where they recognize or honor permits or licenses issued by other jurisdictions with comparable standards, for instance in regard to marriage or driver's licenses. This is known as Reciprocity and is based on U.S. Constitution "full faith and credit" provision. While 37 states have reciprocity agreements with at least one other state, several states honor all out-of-state concealed carry permits. (My license is good in 32 states, so if I decided to take a trip to Florida, I'm covered all the way there.)

No comments: