Background

Sunday, March 17, 2013

DRAGONS VS DAWGS

Having fun and raising money for the Fayette County Special Olympics was the goal for the night last Wednesday at the Washington High School gymnasium. Fayette County Sheriff Vernon Stanforth said they expected between 100-200 people to attend and watch the game. However, he said he learned that around 400 people were in attendance to support the cause and root for their favorite team.

The Fayette County Dragons (special olympics team) took on a team composed of various members of the sheriff's office, along with Fayette County Prosecutor Jess Weade.



I only knew or recognized one of the referees, Wayne Arnold (seen on the right). It was an active game and reminded me of watching a tennis match as the teams ran back and forth from one end of the court to the other in a fast-paced game.

The sheriff was on hand to watch the game from the sidelines. I only stayed for the first half of the game, because I found the bleacher seats too hard and with no back support, I could only sit for so long that way. But I did enjoy the half that I saw with the final half score of 22-6 when I left. I later learned that the Deputy Dawgs got beat 46-35 by the Dragons.


I believe the kids had a good time and even the cheerleaders got into the action being introduced at half-time. With the sale of special tee-shirts, in addition to the small admission charge, I know they raised a lot of money for special olympics that night.

No comments: